10 Tips for Generating Buyer Interest
Distraught sellers who need to generate more interest in a house that has been languishing on the market for months should consider the following 10 steps:
1. Can the clutter. Pack up knickknacks, pictures, piles of paper and furniture that makes the place look crowded.
2. Let the light in. Take down any heavy drapes.
3. Scrub-a-dub-dub. Shampoo soiled carpets. Scrub the front door. Repaint scuffed walls. Tidy up the lawn and trim the shrubs.
4. Get moving on the “honey do” list. Fix everything that is in need of repair.
5. Enhance the view. Erect a fence or plant shrubbery to improve or obscure the view of unattractive nearby properties or streets.
6. Try weeknights. Holding an open house on Wednesday evening may attract a different crowd.
7. Ask for criticism. Consult with buyers’ agents for their feedback.
8. Owners should not be present during showings. They should vacate when potential buyers come around so the buyers can talk freely.
9. Offer “rent to own”. Give a potential buyer a little credit. Becoming a landlord may keep the seller from having to shoulder two mortgages.
10. Drop the asking price. And figure out the lowest amount you’re willing or able to accept.