Best definition is management of yourself
TM is a core skill of life
“If you are not good at TM nothing is possible for you,
but if you are good at TM everything is possible for you”
Successful people are results oriented – use time better and more effectively than others
Long Time Perspective – clear goals in long term then break them into short term goals then into steps you can take right now that will lead to the Long Term Perspective/Plan.
TM starts with setting goals, prioritizing them writing down each step, in sequence 1,2,3
Then taking ACTION
Then disciplining yourself to do only those things that will move you toward your LTP – Most important goals
Be productive all day long
If you have only one hour a day to be productive then your life is out of control
Your WHOLE DAY should be productive – not just a few hours of your day
Requires – plan every day in advance prioritize start with most important thing you can do until you accomplish it
TIP – If you Time block – if you can only block portions of time – TURN EVERYTHING OFF – PHONE, COMPUTER
THE ESSENCE OF LIFE MANAGEMENT IS TO ORGANIZE THE SEQUENCE OF EVENTS 1,2,3 then do 1 first and complete then 2 and complete in order
Science, law and rules to follow to control time.
80/20 rule – 20% of what you do accounts for 80% of your results
90/10 – if you have 10 items on a list – 1 item is worth more that all the other items combined
Problem – we tend to want to do what is fun and easy vs. what is important
TIP – never give into the temptation to clear up small things first
If you start on the small things – they are like rabbits they multiply through the day – then you will never get to the important item!
The key to great success in life is task completion!
Starting and completing important tasks
You must be crystal clear about what the most important things are to complete
Task completion – is a source of energy, enthusiasm and self – esteem
Once you complete a task, you get a release of endorphins which is a chemical in your brain
If you complete a low level task – you get a small release of endorphins
When you complete a High Level task you GET A RUSH OF ENDORPHINS – YOU FEEL HAPPY EXHILIRATED AND MOTIVATED TO DO MORE THINGS!
Tip – Success Principle –
If you start and complete a task first thing in the morning you’ll set yourself up for success for the rest of the day
Another Method that people tell me changes their lives – A, B, C, D, E method
Make a list of everything you need to do for the day (or week)
A. Tasks you MUST do or there will be big consequences (serious consequences for completion or non completion – if you do or don’t to them you will gain or lose a lot of money, gain or lose a job etc.
Then if you have 3 “A” tasks then ranks A1, A2 A3
B. Tasks you should do – return a call or email or request – but not as important as the A tasks
Discipline yourself to do the A tasks in order before the B tasks
C. Tasks are nice to do – talking to friends – checking email etc. – no real consequences, drink coffee
D. Tasks to delegate
Rule – delegate everything to someone who can do it well at a lower level of pay than you are
E. Tasks to Eliminate – things that take up valuable time and have
Make a list of the things you WILL NOT DO ANYMORE
*Number on reason people are failing today is because they are doing things of no value or low value most of the time.
Law of Three
Make a list of everything you have to do and determine the three areas that account for 90% of your contribution and income
Business, life and income – 3 areas will account for 90% of your results and everything else fall in below in the 10%
Determining your Big Three:
1. Ask – If I could only do ONE things all day long to contribute the most value to my business, my company or my career?
Then circle that task!
2. Ask – If I could only do TWO things all day long to contribute the most value to my business, company or career, what would it be?
Then circle that task!
3. Ask – If I could only do three things all day long to contribute the most value to my business what would it be?
Many people who do this exercise get the answers wrong!
Tip: Not sure about your key result areas? Ask your coach, friends, boss, colleagues, or family for their input.
Often what you think is the most import things for yourself to do are somebody else’s job or a low level activity.
Key rule: Once 3 are identified then only do those 3 things all day long!
Then always look for ways to improve and upgrade your skills – books, seminars
Everyone who does this – doubles their productivity and income in 30 days
Action Steps to take now:
Long Term Goal Setting:
If I could wave a magic wand and accomplish anything – which one goal would have the greatest most positive impact on your life?
Only 3% of adults know what their biggest most impactful goals are
Long-term vision dramatically improves short-term focus
Once you have written your most important goals
Then everyday you look at your list and ask – is this consistent with achieving your most important goal?
Then make a list of the most important things you have to do-
(List makers are among the most productive people in the world)
Written list more effective that typed lists
Study of Inc. 500 fastest growing companies and interviewed the Presidents of these companies which some had grown 200 -300x in last few years,
What is your most effective time management tool? Favorite app or system
49/50 held up a Yellow pad!
There is no substitute for writing down your goals on a yellow pad of paper
1. Write down what is the most important goal I could achieve that would have the biggest impact on my career/income – write it down
2. Then ask – what are all the things I need to do to achieve this?
3. Organize the steps in sequence
4. Take action immediately on A1 step
Don’t be distracted – Do you have a minute – yes but not now let’s talk later tonight or this weekend
Advice for people who procrastinate
Number 1 reason people procrastinate is because they are unclear about their most important task and the steps to get there – trying to do too many little things at once (low level)
Number 1 destroyer of dreams and success – DISTRACTION
It takes an average of 17 min to get back to work after an electronic interruption
Leave electronics in off position to stop distractions
Tip: To maximize productivity, set up an automatic message that tells email senders when you when check your email and you’ll get back to them
This will prevent you from feeling like you need to check it all the time
Include an emergency number if it’s an urgent issue.
Tip: When overwhelmed by a large project – just say “I will work on this for 5 minutes” – just get started – pull the cord on the engine and get it going.
Work on step A1 for five minutes. When you complete the five minutes you will have accomplished starting the project, which leads to an endorphin rush that makes you feel happy and motivated to do more
Make a Decision – to be a good time manager. You can learn how.
Plan, prioritize take action on A1 A2 A3 every day until it becomes a habit – you have driven this into the subconscious.
Exercises to help you figure out your greater life priorities
Magic Wand – if we could make this company perfect sometime in the near future – what would people say about this company?
Idealization – If I had a magic wand and I could wave it over your life to achieve anything you wanted what would your life look like?
Maximum Achievement in Critical areas of your life
1. Business, Career, Income – once you define this imagine in 3-5 years you are doing the exact right work, with the exact right people with the exact right circumstances and earning the exact amount of money that I desire
Then come back into the present and ask – “What will I have to do differently and change in order to achieve that goal? What are the steps I have to take to move toward that goal?
2. Relationships and Family – if perfect – what do my relationships look like in 3-5 years – Who would you be with? Who would you no longer be with? What is you lifestyle? What are you doing? How would you be spending your time? Imagine you have all the money, all the time, all the friends, all the contacts, all the skills and no limitations – free your mind, vacations, travel, holidays, family get togethers, vacation home for gathering, how often do I see my children? Where, when, what do we enjoy together?
3. Physical Health and Fitness – how would you look, feel, how much energy would you have? What type of exercise would you do? How much would you weigh, how much would you sleep? Determine the level of health you want – then when you have that clear picture – then evaluate everything you put into your mouth and ask, “Does this help me achieve my health or hurt my health”? If it does not help then don’t do it!
4. Financial Independence – purpose of working is to have enough money that you can have the choice – NOT to work or to back off. Even if you don’t, you want the CHOICE! Determine your NUMBER – the amount of money you need to have financial freedom. Here’s how – Determine age of retirement – 65 -70 then add 20 years of life after this. How much money will I need to never worry about money for the next 20 years? Determine monthly expenses today – i.e. 5k/month = 60k/year x 20yrs = 1.2 million
Did you know it takes the average person 22 years to become a millionaire after they decided they want to become one?
Determine how much money or percentage of income you need to save each year in order to achieve your NUMBER. i.e. save 7k/month x 12 = 84k/yr. = 14.2 years to save 1.2 million – for example. Biggest regret people have “I didn’t start early enough”
Get together with spouse/significant other – Determine your NUMBER – WRITE it down – then determine current NET WORTH and then determine timeline of how many years it will take and how much you will need to save and invest each year reach your NUMBER. Then start with Day 1! This methodology will be transformational – and make you feel great about yourself the whole way as you know you are moving toward and will achieve financial independence.
Are you ready to stop procrastinating and take control of your life?
Are you ready to make real positive change?
Ready to live your most productive life ever?
Are you able to identify your most important tasks at every moment of every day?
Are you as successful in your life as you want to be?
Are you making as much money as you want to make?
The ability to concentrate single mindedly on your most important task, do it well and to finish it completely is the key to great success, achievement, status, respect promotion and happiness in life.
3 most important words
There just isn’t enough time for everything on our “To Do” list—and there never will be. Successful people don’t try to do everything. They learn to focus on the most important tasks and make sure they get done.
Tackling the most challenging task of your day—the one you are most likely to procrastinate on, but also probably the one that can have the greatest positive impact on your life – how to zero in on these critical tasks and organize your day. You’ll not only get more done faster, but get the right things done.
Vital to effective time management: decision, discipline, and determination.
You must learn 3 qualities/habits to become successful:
1. Decision – get in the habit of task completion
2. Discipline – practice the principles that you learn – over and over until they become automatic
3. Determination- determine that you will consistently do this until it becomes a habit